Canton Stir-Fried Pepper Beef with Mangetout
A recipe by Ken Hom, from The Guardian
450g lean beef steak
2 tsp light soy sauce
2 tsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
2 tsp sesame oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp cornflour
100g red or green pepper (about one)
3 tbsp groundnut (peanut) oil
225g mangetout, trimmed
150ml chicken stock or water
2 tbsp oyster sauce
- Cut the beef into thin slices 5cms long then put in a bowl with the light soy sauce, Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry, sesame oil, salt, pepper and cornflour. Mix well and then leave the beef to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Cut the pepper into 5cm strips.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan until it is very hot. Add the oil and when it is very hot and slightly smoking, remove the beef from the marinade with a slotted spoon, add to the pan and stir-fry for three minutes.
- Remove the beef slices, drain and reserve the oil. Wipe the wok or pan clean, then reheat it.
- Return 1 tablespoon of the drained oil to the pan and when it is very hot, add the pepper and mangetout and stir-fry for two minutes. Then add the stock and oyster sauce.
- Bring the mixture to the boil. Return the beef to the pan and stir well. Turn on to a warm serving plate and serve at once.
Serve with plain steamed rice